Monday, February 2, 2009

14 Kids...Seriously?

So I was reading on People.com about the lady in California that just gave birth to octuplets. Apparently, according to the story, she already has 3 sets of twins. She's 33, and her children have been the result of embryos from a sperm donor. It also goes on to say that the octuplets were actually her 8 remaining frozen embryos from the sperm donor. The mother of the mother says her daughter is obsessed with children. Ok... Kind of like my obsession with shoes?

Without judgement, I ask, what's the point in having 14 children? I mean, I realize that somewhere between all of the hell they bring you joy. But what do you do with 14 children? Do you start an army? A school? A band? And how do you afford them? Unless you're rich. I should stop now, because at this point I'm about to go all "ethical" and claim that a single mother of 33 may have a hard time providing the love and support (both mentally and financially) 14 children will need.

My current kid count is at 0 so I realize I'm not in a position to say this. But aren't kids a ton of work? Don't they cry, have to be potty trained, get in trouble at school, sneak out of the house, have underage sex, experiment with drugs, cost a ton of money for college, move away from home only to move back in at the age of 35 where they remain until you die?

She would have been better off being obsessed with shoes, like me. People may judge me for owning 40 pairs of shoes, but at least I have cute shoes. And I can donate them to the Salvation Army when I'm done with them. You're not allowed to do that with kids!

And if I had to guess, I would say this single mother will probably remain single. Not many men are looking for that snake pit of a household to become a part of.

On the same note, I have lately been wanting another dog. I have one already. I hope this isn't leading to something a little more serious. Like 14 dogs.

1 comment:

  1. I want another dog too. Shawn told me last night that if we decide to have zero children then we can have 3 dogs.
    i'm sure you know which one i'm leaning toward.

    ReplyDelete